July 01, 2012

Writing on Violence

yang nulis Isma Kazee di 5:14 AM
"Before we start walking, Comrade Venu comes up to me. “Okay then Comrade. I ‘ll take you leave.” I’am taken a back. He looks like a little mosquito in a woolen cap and chappals, surrounded by his guards, three women, three men. Heavily armed. "We are very grateful to you comrade, for coming all the way here." he says. Once again the handshake, the clenched fist. "Lal Salaam Comrade." He disappears into the forest, the Keeper of the Keys. And in a moment, it’s as though he was never here. I’m little bereft. But I have hours of recordings to listen to. And the days turn into weeks, I will meet many people who paint color and detail into the grid he drew for me. We begin to walk in the opposite direction. Comrade Raju, smelling of iodex from a mile off, says with a happy smile, "My knees are gone. I can only walk if I have had a fistful of painkillers." (p.28)

I have heard Arundaty Roy’s name before, but this is my first time reading her report. I really enjoy it. She is not only sharing the fact and resources, but also portraying the characterization, setting, movement, plot, feeling, and opinion. Reading her notes is like reading a history novel. From the detail of those characterizations and images, I think she succeed in demonstrating the painful and struggle that people, in particular women, are suffering in conflict region.

In Indonesia, we have many narratives on conflict and violence against women, for example the tragedy of May 11 in Jakarta in which many Chinese women were being raped. This was a shameful tragedy and has defaced women rights in Indonesia. However, the investigation on this tragedy does not recommend and give any results. I think if this ‘forgotten’ tragedy is rewritten and reported applied Roy’s method of writing, the report would remain effective to boost government’s will towards the investigation.

Source:
Arundhaty Roy, ‘Walking with the Comrades’.

0 komentar:

 

Isma Kazee Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gift Idea